Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

cat urinates and deficates indoors inspte of the fact she spends

cat urinates and deficates indoors inspte of the fact she spends most of her time outdoors and refuses to use cat litter
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me .. Has she always done this ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I got her from acouple who had a baby and then she started. they gave her to me hoping that when she was a way from the baby she would be ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Scott,

I recieved her from a couple who had a baby, then the trouble started. The couple gave the cat to me hoping that when away from the baby her behaviour would come back to normal

Hello again Alan and thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having, behavioural problems with cats are never easy, they are so difficult to train, but there are things you can try ...

1. When you clean up after where Dasie has dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to Dasie it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to her then she may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

2. Best advice is to keep the litter tray well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason she does not use it, a small point but often overlooked.

3. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden center instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring her back into her litter tray. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

4. This could be your best idea : Some cats start to be dirty in the house in response to some anxiety, another cat in the house or neighborhood etc. { This is a form of territorial marking } Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. It is used a lot in the UK. I have put a link about Feliway below.

LINK

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott