DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

My dog keeps shaking his head and holds it to the right, his

My dog keeps shaking his head and holds it to the right, his right ear looks red and sore.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Barney .

DR.J :

By the sound of it it could be one of two things - either he has indeed an ear infection or he has something stuck up his ear canal (like a foxtail or other type of seed) .

DR.J :

What best be done is to have a look up the ear canal first (done by your vet) in order to eliminate the option of a foreign body being stuck and as well to asses what is the leading cause of the infection if it's not the former.

DR.J :

this can be done by preparing a smear of the waxy material in the ear and looking under a microscope .

DR.J :

According to the results - your vet will then determine which is the best course of treatment (antibiotic / ear wash ect.)

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If you have any further questions - please let me know.

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J