DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello , i'm James DVM MRCVS and I would love to help.
74293778

My chocolate labrador hitch is nine and a half. She is perfectly

Customer Question

My chocolate labrador hitch is nine and a half. She is perfectly healthy. Often she sits and stares at me or my husband and pants relentlessly , we try and ignore it but she carries on until she gets either a treat or a walk, she also does it if we have visitors and she isn't the centre of attention. Is this attention seeking.
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Labradors are very intelligent by all means . Most commonly we adore their intelligence and make use of it by making the, guide dogs and drug sniffing dogs but they are as well know for their unending hunger .

DR.J :

by her panting and you rewarding it with a treat you are creating what is regarded as conditional learning .

DR.J :

She connects the treat which she loves with the former panting and staring and to her it all relates

DR.J :

and to her its means to get what she want . and every time she acts like this and you reward her - you are making this reflex stronger

DR.J :

We must though make sure that when it comes to walking - it is not because of anything else which such as an inflammation of the urinary tract or other disease which must be eliminated by examination at your vets.

DR.J :

How often does she do it ?

DR.J :

Is it at specific time of the day ?

JACUSTOMER-r6x2ja50- : She does it any time of day but about 9 o'clock in the evening she starts
DR.J :

We what you must do is correct it by building a new conditional Spencerian meaning - not rewarding her

DR.J :

Is there anything she doesn't like ?

JACUSTOMER-r6x2ja50- : No
DR.J :

Well then we must they ignore her .. resulting in a dissociation of the reflex.. this might take a while but persistance is needed in order to make a difference .

DR.J :

By you giving into her behavioral damages - you allow it to go on.

DR.J :

I know it's not a quick fix - but there is no quick fix for such a problem.

DR.J :

Have you anything more on the topic you with to ask

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If you wish to speak further , please let me know and I shall be back ASAP

DR.J :

all the best to you both

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

Hi again .

DR.J :

Please before you leave - do not forget to rate the conversation .

DR.J :

JACUSTOMER-r6x2ja50- : So hard to ignore when you love them but will try , thank you
DR.J :

I know it's hard and especially a a chocolate lab with their big puppy eyes . but you must be hard and you will succeed , I promise

DR.J :

you will do great

DR.J :

cheers

DR.J :

J.

DR.J :

And please don't forget to rate our conversation : )