Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

ive had my puppy 4 weeks and she started with a problem with

ive had my puppy 4 weeks and she started with a problem with her legs, it only last about 4 mins she cant stand and then she starts to shake and her head wobbles , she has had someblood test done and he says her liver and heart are fine , he has sent some more bloods off and put her on clinacin , after it passes she is fine, it hasnt happened since he put her on these antibiotics, (use to happen about 4 times aday) what are the antibiotics for?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am glad to see that your pup's heart and liver were found to be normal. Now without knowing which blood tests your vet has done, it is difficult to read their mind and appreciate their suspicions regarding your pup and their exam findings.

That said, even without knowing your vet's motivations in their treatment choice, we can appreciate what may be at the root of her signs based on her response to this this antibiotic treatment. Specifically, to see her neurological signs cease while on Clinacin (clindamycin), then this suggests that your wee one's brain based issues may have been induced by a protozoal parasite called Toxoplasma or by a clindamycin sensitive bacterial meningitis.

In this situation, If you wished a definitive diagnosis, then you may wish to ask your vet to have the lab test the blood sample they have for Toxoplasma antibodies. If she is positive for recent antibody elevations, then Toxoplasma will be likely and a long course of this antibiotic will help clear the infection. If it is negative, then the bacteria would be a more likely suspect (and a diagnosis of exclusion may be best since diagnosing this would require a spinal tap) and the treatment should be continued until your vet feels that your pup's infection has cleared.

Overall, even without knowing what bloods have been checked for your wee one, this positive response to Clinacin does suggest a bacterial meningitis or an brain based infection with Toxoplasma. In either case, it is positive that her signs have subsided and we would hope that her signs continue to regress with this treatment without any long term issue for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

toxoplasma is one of the things that her bloods have been taken for test, i get results on wednesday, just need peace of mind that it is treatable and doesnt have any lasting effect, im thinkin like you. thats what prob causing the problem as she been fine since starting the tablets , thanks, lynn

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Lynn,

I am glad to hear that they had suspected Toxoplasma with her diffuse neurological signs and that this blood test is already pending and results are due soon.

As well, I can tell you that it is a both bacterial infections and Toxoplasma infections are very treatable as long as we are treating it as early as possible (before chronic infection causes scarring in the brain). And in this situation, it does sound like you have gotten to this early since she has responded so well to the treatment (and her signs have totally settled, suggesting that there was only infection and inflammation and no secondary scarring here).

So, in this situation, her response to treatment speaks volumes and tells us that you are on the right track, that this is helping her, and that she is unlikely to suffer from lasting effects from this infection.

All the best,

Dr. B.