Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Since my dog has come back from the vets it wont drink water.

Since my dog has come back from the vets it won't drink water. Only likes it if you add a drop of milk. It has been a week since he came back from the vets which he under went a general anesetic for an X-ray. When he came out of recovery they said he fell off the table and bit his tongue. He is eating ok and with a drop of milk he is drinking fine. He seems very skittish at the moment as well.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Brian's problem. What condition was the X-ray taken to examine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has been limping and the X-ray shows he has problems with both his front elbows and need a ct scan
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Andy. If he did bite his tongue, the bit of alkalinity added by the milk, plus the more appealing flavor might have been enough to overcome any reticence he may have had about drinking water. Dogs can detect an amazingly small amount of substances in their food and water, and the drop of milk may have been enough to get him to drink his water. I wouldn't be too concerned about his water consumption, I've never seen a dog or cat get into serious trouble over not drinking after anesthesia. Have you had a look at his tongue? Does it still look sore?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His tongue is fine , what concerns me is how he could fall of a table and why he seems so skittish now , he's a big dog weighing in at 43kilos and has always been so placid
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay,
We've had company arrive, I must go offline for several hours, so I'll opt out and let another expert help you. If no one has helped you when I come back online, I'll opt back in then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your time. Hope to have an answer to my troubles soon. Many thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello again , Andy. Our company has left and I can try to give you the answer you've been waiting for, thank you for your patience. Anesthetics vary greatly in their effects, some immobilize the patient without removing their consciousness of what is happening to them, others cause them to forget what was done, and still others cause a deep plane of unconsciousness with no awareness of either pain or their surroundings. Combinations can be designed to combine the desired effects of each of these for maximum pain control and immobility. As an animal recovers, there are individual differences in how quickly animals return to consciousness, and what they are conscious of first. I suspect that Brian was in a stage of recovery when the mishap occurred. Some animals return to consciousness with a start and actually go from looking completely relaxed and unconscious to being active and agitated. In my experience, Dobermans and Rottweilers are particularly prone to sudden recovery. My guess is that the people attending Brian were caught unprepared for his sudden return to consciousness and he inadvertently jumped or slipped off the table, and may have some memory of the experience causing him to feel uneasy and "jittery". Hopefully this will pass with a bit of time and he'll soon be back to normal.
Something you can try to help him feel better faster is a product called D.A.P. (Dog appeasing pheromone). This harmless synthetic pheromone acts to help soothe and calm dogs who are suffering from anxiety issues. You can buy is as a collar, a spray, or as a plugin diffuser for longer-term use. The spray and diffusers must be used in each room in which Brian spends any appreciable amount of time. D.A.P. can be purchased from many veterinary clinics, pet stores and online. you can read about it by goggling "Dog appeasing pheromone". If you still have questions, please let me know. Again, I apologize for the interruption.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob