Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 7 year old choc male lab, over the last week his poo

I have a 7 year old choc male lab, over the last week his poo has a slimey coating on it, should I b concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he have diarrhea?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No changes to diet or diarrhea just the slimy coating?.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Darren, the slime you are seeing in the feces is called: "Mucus." When we see mucus in the feces it is a sign of inflammation in the colon. There are many possible causes, it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes.
I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian and stool analysis as initial screening test. In the mean time this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Change diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Put Alfie on rice and chicken for a few days.
He's back to normal the mucus has cleared up, but
Keeping him on rice for a few more days then putting
Him back on his normal food.

Thanks for your help