Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

my dog has had diabetes for aprox 3 years, under control, but

Customer Question

my dog has had diabetes for aprox 3 years, under control, but we always did a glucose/urine sample, glucose was constantly high for 2 years, to the point where we decoded it was just the way the dog was, and we cant remedy it.....the point I am coming to is, that over the last 3 months he has developed a 'rumbling' stomach, extremely loud, and he has to go out onto the grass in the early hours, eat grass, vomit grass, therefore, will not eat at 6am, and that means, no food, no insulin, I took him to the vet, we cant decide what the trouble is, but the problem has settled down, to a once a week occurrence
I personally think, he has got long term condition it seems to have no improvement
I am not sure how old he is, as he is a rescue dog, we have had him 6 years, I think he is..4..or 15 years old....help..!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Hudson.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he is having this issue.

Dr. Bruce :

Has your vet run any bloodwork to check for internal organ issues? Has a fructosamine test been run (checks to see if the diabetes has been under control for the prior 3-4 weeks)? Any x-rays?

Dr. Bruce :

I would suggest running the above mentioned tests to look for any specific problems.

Dr. Bruce :

Having said that, I would consider putting Hudson on a bland diet such as Hill's i/d or Purina EN for easy digestion. A trial course of a gastroprotectant such as famotidine may be helpful.

Dr. Bruce :

It is possible that Hudson merely has gastric reflux that comes with old age. In that case, giving him a small meal right before bedtime so that his stomach is not empty when he sleeps would be very helpful. A dose of famotidine at bedtime will also help. By doing this, his stomach will be protected and he will not wake up with "sour stomach".

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Hudson is feeling better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you so much for your help and advice, since last week when I received your reply, I have started to give Hudson, a small amount of 'kibbles'. at .about 10pm each night, so far, touch wood, this seems to be working

Sue Hall