Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

hi there my names chris and i own a staffy she is 7yrs old.

hi there my names chris and i own a staffy she is 7yrs old. since early this evening she has started panting heaverly and pacing around not being able to settle properly. This is out of character for her and she is of her dinners but will still eat treats. can you advise on what it may be please.

thanks chris
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she walking any different?
5- Anything new that could be stressful for her in the house?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Dr Peter , her belly around her back legs dose seem different, looks like its hanging lower than usual if that makes sense, maybe slightly swollen but not tight kind of loose, and dose feel warmer to touch.

Chris

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- But you are not seeing swelling of the abdomen, correct?
2- The skin is hanging? How long has this been going on?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the underneath is just today which could be slightly swollen, her gums are pink, i dont have a the equipment to take a temperature, she is wining under her breath and is shaking

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 20 kilo, as i dont have scales sorry

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Chris, the symptoms that you are describing in Baloo are consistent with her being in pain. There are many possible causes. My main concern is that you are also seeing abdominal swelling. Which when we put all of her symptoms together, it is possible she may be developing a bloat (air in the stomach). If it is a bloat it is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. For this reason I would strongly recommend having her checked immediately by nearest veterinarian, important to rule out a bloat. If you do not have access to a vet tonight this is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian in the morning:

1- Take away the food and water.
2- Start her on Gas x (simethicone) 100mg every 6-8 hours orally. You can buy simethicone over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
3- Follow up in the morning with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter