Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

Hello, we have a three and a half month old puppy. He is a

Customer Question

Hello, we have a three and a half month old puppy. He is a Dachshund crossed with a Basset Hound. We have been noticing some erratic behaviour from him in the last couple of days. He paces around the house wanting to explore every little crevice, he scratches at the inside of the front door and in corners. He has scaled the backs of the sofa, under, over it and even tried to climb a unit where he got himself stuck! When letting him outside he will go and sit in the smallest places such as a flower pot! He hasn't eaten the food put down for him this morning but seems to be drinking quite a lot. He also seems to be weeing and pooing as usual. I took him for a 20 minute walk earlier in the hope that he would tire himself out but he's still been pacing around all evening. He's quite foamy around the mouth and chewing on toys so could this all be part of why he's acting so peculiar? He's downstairs in the kitchen now and I can't hear him moving around so he's probably finally resting. I just really hope that his symptoms doesn't suggest there is any thing serious wrong with him. Please help!

Charlotte
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Buddy.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he is having this issue.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm a little concerned about the foaming around the mouth. It makes me wonder if he has been exposed to some sort of toxin, or if he might even have some sort of trauma to the inside of his mouth (from chewing on something, for instance).

Dr. Bruce :

You don't mention whether or not he has received all the appropriate puppy vaccines, or if he is on a heartworm preventative. If not, then I would be concerned about potential infectious agents such as viral diseases, or parasites.

Dr. Bruce :

The behaviorial changes are also a little disconcerting. It could be just because he is feeling off, but it may also indicate the possibility of toxic or infectious problems.

Dr. Bruce :

I would strongly suggest taking him to see his vet tomorrow for evaluation. If I were to suggest a course of action, I would recommend checking him for parasites (fecal examination), check him for a fever, look in his mouth for any trauma or foreign body, and possible bloodwork if nothing else is obviously wrong.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Buddy is doing better very soon. I have dachshunds myself, so I imagine that he is a particularly cute combination of low rider dogs! If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.