Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my chihuahua has given birth 13 days ago and just now for

Customer Question

Hi my chihuahua has given birth 13 days ago and just now for first time there is something slimy coming out from her vagina it was very stringy like a snot like substance and was a wiered colour like redish green. Do I need to take her straight to the vets now out of hours or will she be ok till morning?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Mimi should be OK without having to be seen by her vet. The green discharge is normal lochia - the fluid consisting of vaginal and uterine secretions plus cellular debris. The red represents bleeding - most often from the placental sites. You might see additional bleeding as the placental sites involute over the next few weeks.

I suspect that Mimi is otherwise well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she seems fine I was worried as this is the first time that discharge has come out and was worried about puppies feeding if she had an infection

I understand. Those "colors" are OK. Pus, in particular smelly pus, indicates infection and Mimi would be acting ill if infection were present - a post-partum metritis. I'm pleased to hear that she seems fine.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.