Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog has been itching badly by his tail. is it fleas or worms

my dog has been itching badly by his tail. is it fleas or worms or anal glands?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Have you seen fleas?
2- Does he have an irritation or sore in that area?
3- How long has this been going on?
4- How much does your dog weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have not seen fleas it looks sore and he keeps itching it 2 days don't know how much he weighs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you comb/brush him and see if you find a flea or flea dirt within the brush?
2- The sore is on the top of the tail, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I cannot brush it underneath the tail

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Under the tail next to the anus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- If the anus was a clock on what number would you put the sore?
2- The sore is on the skin not the anus, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
so many questions totally dissatisfied
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8 yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Maggie, I am trying to identify if your dog has an anal gland rupture or simply a hot spot. As you can see I don't have the ability to examine your dog. But, if you don't want to continue answering the questions then this is what you can try:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter