Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my goat is losing weight and has now developed diarrhea in

Customer Question

my goat is losing weight and has now developed diarrhea in the last 2 days what can I do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, in regards to your question, diarrhea or loose stool in our goats can be a symptom for a wide range of potential agents. This includes dietary indiscretions (if he has eaten something he should not have or didn't agree with him), viruses, parasites (worms but also protozoa like coccidia, cryptosporidia, giardia, etc), bacterial infections, and toxic exposures (hopefully less likely here).

In regards to your approach, since Sanchez is well in himself, I would suggest that you could initially consider supportive care to try to settle this for him. To do so, you can increase his dietary fiber, as this will slow diarrhea, absorb fluid, and help try to normalize her feces. Further to this, you can also treat with Pepto Bismol (1 teaspoon per 20 lbs of body weight every 8 hours) to slow his diarrhea. If you are concerned about dehydration with Sanchez, you can also administer Pedialyte (2 ounces per 25 lbs of body weight every 4 hours) to maintain his hydration.

In regards to trying to rule out the above causes, especially if you find that he doesn't settle with supportive care alone (which would make benign GI upsets less likely), you may consider having a fecal sample analyzed by your local vet. This can be checked for any parasites present, tested for suspect viruses, and be cultured to identify any bacterial culprits. Depending on the findings, this will tell you what is to blame for his loose stools and thus guide you on how to treat it effectively to clear this for him.

Finally, I do just want to note one wee aid to your investigation into Sanchez's diarrhea. If you are keen and have a microscope, you can check a fecal sample yourself. You obviously won't be able to test for bacterial or viral agents but microscopic fecal sample analysis is a great tool for diagnosing the presence of parasites (protozoal and worms). So, if you are keen, you can find a great guide for fecal sample analysis HERE . And this is worth doing even if you have recently wormed him, since it will help rule out the protozoa but will also make sure that Sanchez doesn’t have any resistant worms still present despite the worming.

Overall, there are a wide range of potential agents that could be causing Sanchez's signs. Therefore, the first step is supportive care against benign upset. But if he doesn't settle over the next few days with this, then we'd want to check for those infectious causes and treat appropriately to clear them.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )