Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

This morning whilst my labrador was chasing his ball on wet

Customer Question

This morning whilst my labrador was chasing his ball on wet grass he slid and let out a loud scream, he tried to get up and just sat there when he did get up his leg went underneath him like broke, I went to get a neighbour and by the time we got to him he got up and walked gingerly and was ok on all four legs, during the evening he tries to settle and panting well, he has been on lead walks and is still walking ok but just looks sorry for himself, he is drinking and eating just snacks

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that most vets - as do I - felt that it would be difficult to give a specific answer. I first would like to know which of his legs went underneath him. It's evident that a soft tissue injury has occurred and I might be able to localize that injury if I knew if that leg were a front or hind leg.

We can eliminate a bony injury because Monty is able to walk on all of his legs. His loud scream, however, and then walking gingerly suggests severe sprain or strain - a soft tissue injury. We address such an injury with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as the prescription carprofen or meloxicam. In a pinch you can administer aspirin at a dose of 20mg/kg with food at 12 hour intervals. Paracetamol (acetaminophen)has questionable efficacy in dogs and so should be avoided.

I expect Monty to be particulary sore in the morning and if I'm right, a vet check is indicated if only to have the more potent anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed and perhaps a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was his left hind leg, he has just had a walk and walking slowly ok, has been panting all night

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What dosage of aspirin can I give him. He has had a walk this morning, walking ok but just won't settle and whining a little but not constantly

Thank you. His panting is a sign of pain. His walking OK suggests that his hind leg is intact but that he likely strained his groin when he slid on the wet grass. As mentioned above, the dose of aspirin is 20mg/kg with food every 12 hours. It's best not to dose aspirin for more than 5 consecutive days in order to avoid gastrointestinal distress.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.