Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

i sprayed my cockatiel with johnsons clean and safe disinfectant

Customer Question

i sprayed my cockatiel with johnson's clean and safe disinfectant by mistake.
i immediately sprayed it with clean water after.
it seems fine, but i am really worried/scared. could it have hurt my bird? what should i do?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is a very short answer I know, but here is the situation ...

Scott Nimmo :

If you immediately sprayed Chunky and really soaked him with clean water then in my experience over the years I would very much doubt if you will experience any problem, you did the right thing ...

Customer:

i noticed that there was slight staining on some of his feathers on his wing

Scott Nimmo :

However I will be about for the next three or four hours so if things change you can get back to me and I can advise further. On top of that we have an additional service where I can provide my private E-mail address so you can get in touch with me quickly as it connects to the phone I carry at all times. But I doubt if this will be necessary.

Customer:

ive put them to bed once he settled down a bit after the water spraying. but at least i know it isnt as bad as i thought. if there is something wrong tomorrow, what symptoms am i looking for?

Customer:

as in what would i see

Scott Nimmo :

As far as the staining goes this is probably not dangerous but if this is present it might be an idea to gently spray him again but concentrating on that area or very gently sponging the area with luke warm water. { If he will allow this }

Scott Nimmo :

Expected symptoms would include lethargy, fluffing of feathers and not eating. Hopefully this will not occur though ...

Customer:

cool. thanks a lot doc.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, please get back to me if things change ... I used to keep Cockatiels myself ...

Hi Shah,

Thanks very much for the good rating.

Get back to me if you need me ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Shah,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Chunky is getting on now.

How are things going?

Regards,

Scott