Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Found a baby snake on my lounge carpet last night! About 6

Found a baby snake on my lounge carpet last night! About 6 or 7 inches long. Basically black with yellow ring just behind head with a small black heart shaped flange behind the yellow ring. Top half of snake is medium coloured brown with black stripes half way down and underneath the colour is yellow at front (plus black stripes) which turn increasingly to black at the lower end.

I have never seen a grass snake or adder in Cavendish in the 10 years I have lived there, although these are probably the best bet. However, I returned from HongKong a few days ago and wondered whether I have an unintended illegal immigrant! - if so can you tell me whether it is poisonous or not?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

That sounds very much like a baby grass snake, the yellow ring just below the head end is the give away.

Scott Nimmo :

hold on and I will find a photo for you to compare

Scott Nimmo :

Full Size Image

Scott Nimmo :

Does that look like it?

If it is indeed a baby grass snake then the best thing to do is to let it go free somewhere suitable. They are good swimmers and like water so a reedy area close to a pond's edge in a secluded area would be perfect.

Regards,

Scott