Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

my 5 day old pug puppy

Customer Question

my 5 day old pug puppy has started to cry and become agitated, and doesnt seem interested in feeding from its mother. he also keeps opening his mouth and what appears to be like a cheap sound. his sibling is very content and is feeding well. is he dehydrated

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question came in late at night when few vets were available. You're described a colicky pup which is manifested by vocalization, restlessness and inappetance. You goal is to stimulate gastrointestinal motility and gas removal by supplemental feeding with a puppy milk substitute, keeping him warm as you're doing, and stimulating defecation by wetting and warming a rough cloth and rubbing it on his belly from just caudal (toward his tail) to the edge of his rib cage to his bum area. The cloth mimics the action of his mum's tongue. If the cloth doesn't suffice to cause his bowels to move, you can carefuly insert a body temperature thermometer just 1/2" into his rectum and jostle it around a bit. In most cases these pups with remiss within 6 hours.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did take him to my vet later on and he said that I should supplement his milk, he could see no reason why, palate good, and not dehydrated.I tried feeding him as soon as I got home, throughout the day he fed properly his mother staying for a good period of time latched on. but later on this morning it happened again, he fed very little from his mother so I tried to feed him myself and he just wasnt interested. I also noticed which I hadnt yesterday that under his tail is a gash, Im assuming mum has accidentally trod on him. I have put sudocrem on it to help it heal. Do you think this has anything to do with the reason he wont eat?

Perhaps. Anything that causes discomfort can decrease appetite. We need to consider that there might be more trauma associated with that gash. Sudocreme is classifed as an antiseptic. If that gash begins to look pusy, you'll need his vet's attention once again. He may need a systemic antibiotic and antibiotic cream.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?