Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi i iiieidi is about 16 years has lost a lot of weight lately

Customer Question

hi
i iiieidi is about 16 years has lost a lot of weight lately and is on forticor from our vetii
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Heidi. I assume that Fortekor (benazepril) was prescribed to address hypertension and congestive heart failure. If so, Heidi's weight loss may be due to a cardiac cachexia - a wasting syndrome seen with advanced heart disease. The presence of such a cachexia would indicate re-evaluating her heart condition and perhaps instituting therapy (a diuretic such as furosemide, a heart drug such as pimobendan, e.g.) in addition to her benazepril.

We also need to consider a concomitant disorder to her heart condition. The most common is renal failure because a failing heart doesn't deliver the proper amount of blood to the kidneys. I can't be more specific for you from here but I can recommend that Heidi's vet take another look at her and perform diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests to see if more than her heart needs to be treated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.