Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

PIGEON CAME HOME INJURED 10 DAYS AGO,CLEANED WITH TCP, WAS

PIGEON CAME HOME INJURED 10 DAYS AGO,CLEANED WITH TCP, WAS HEELING WELL,
UNTIL SCAB DROPPED OFF, WHEN HE DRINKS,WATER RUNS OUT OF HIS CROP THREW A SMALL HOLE... WHAT CAN BE DONE? ...HE IS MY PRIZE BIRD...
REGARDS,
DEREK
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello Derek, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of the injury sustained by 04. Fortunately, this particular kind of injury almost always heals on its own without the need for surgical correction. A very similar situation develops in chickens who must have their crops opened to remove foreign material that they've swallowed. The skin forms one layer and the wall of the crop forms a second inner layer. These are left open to heal on their own and they amazingly almost always do! This is called "healing by second intention" and birds are extremely good at it. Keep cleaning the edges of the area to prevent infection and he'll most likely soon be as good as new.

Occasionally the wound is too large to allow complete closure to occur naturally, without some intervention. You'll know this is the case if, after three weeks the corp is still leaking. Although this doesn't seem likely in 04's case because of the small size you've described, if this should happen to 04 (non-closure), any bird-knowledgeable veterinary surgeon can correct the problem with a relatively minor surgery to freshen the edges of the respective structures and to suture the wound closed.
Hopefully, your bird will heal on his own, and soon be back in the race, but if you should have any further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Bob,

What treatment could I buy to help the healing along ?...

Regards,

Derek

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, Derek. A recently introduced product that is very helpful in just this kind of case is called "Vetericyn spray". This is a topical disinfectant that is actually safe enough to use in the eyes, and it is effective against both bacteria and fungi. You can buy it from many pet stores, online, farm and feed stores, and veterinarians. If you use this you shouldn't need an antibiotic either topical or oral. Use it twice daily for 7 days, and 04 should be on his way.
Don't worry about the leakage, he should be able to keep enough water and food in him to meet his needs, but do keep the area clean to help prevent infections. If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Best regards, XXXXX