Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

one of my dogs is a two year old yellow lab and appears to

Customer Question

one of my dogs is a two year old yellow lab and appears to be healthy in every respect.up to date on vaccinations and frontline. he recently started to shiver as if he had just come round from a general anaesthetic. this has been going on for a few weeks now and happens approx. once a day.i would be grateful for your comments.
Robert Stretton
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So he is shivering like if he is cold, correct?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Is he walking any different?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

shivering like he is cold,yes
no vomiting,diarrhea or coughing and eating and drinking normally

walking normally

there are no other symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is there anything different in the environment or at home that could be a source of stress for him?
2- How often does this happen?
3- How long does it last?
4- Is he alert and responsive when it is happening?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is a dog house i have three other dogs who he gets on with very well there is no stress for him here as everything is as normal.this happens once or twice a day.

it lasts for about five or so mins.

yes he is alert and responsive

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Robert, there are many possible causes for the shivering you are describing. Common causes are: A fever, pain (neuromuscular vs abdominal), stress, cold, etc. Based on history and his age I would be concern about neuromuscular pain secondary to a soft tissue injury; what is odd is that he is not showing any abnormality or change in his gait.
In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. Your vet may need to do some testing like xrays and blood work as initial screening to determine the exact underlying cause.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks.i will do as you recommend.i thought that might be the case anyway.

regards

Robert XXXX

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Robert. Keep me posted.

Dr. Peter