Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

if a dog licked a dogbed on which glphosate weekiller had been

if a dog licked a dogbed on which glphosate weekiller had been spilled what would the symptoms be and how long would it take a small dog to die if untreated?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, not a lot of exposure here so that is good, since it was on a dogbed, and not lapped off of a floor or directly from the bottle.

Symptoms of gastrointestinal distress would likely start within a few hours:
- vomiting
- diarrhea (this could take up to 1-2 days)
- hypersalivating
- loss of appetite
- wanting to suddenly drink a lot of water

How long to die? That would be impossible to answer. It could be days of suffering, although I wouldn't expect that to happen unless quite a bit was ingested.

Also, if you got in to a vet ASAP if any symptoms did occur, I would see no reason for death anyway with proper supportive care.

Oh....I am very sorry...I just read an additional section below that she had to be put to sleep. You and your family have my deepest sympathy and support.

At this age, honestly, any number of additional health issues could have exacerbated the need to put Millie to sleep. A few licks of some weedkiller off of a dogbed would not likely be the only contributing factor.

At this age, for this size dog..you should be very happy with the longevity of her life!

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was salivating (bed/blanket was wet under her muzzle) but definitely no diarrhea.She may have ingested a week ago on Saturday (afternoon). She brought up yellow frothy bile in the night and wanted to drink a lot of water. She did eat but not much first couple of days. Vet saw her on Monday pm and said her bloods were many times the level they should be for healthy kidneys. Gave her a couple of injections and she temporarily picked up on the Tuesday. By Friday she wasn't picking up and had vomited once more again and was very wobbly so I decided to put her to rest on Saturday morning. I ithought I'd washed the dogbed that had been contaminated but am now thinking perhaps the other one (which she'd been lying on) may have also been contaminated. Would she have had diarrhea by the time almost a week had passed do you think?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Honest guess...
I think those high kidney values were already developing and not even related to the any toxin exposure. I could be wrong, but that is my best guess. The amount of chemical she was exposed to is really low.

I think diarrhea could have developed due to kidney failure anyway, and not related to chemical exposure.

We diagnose a lot of kidney failure at this age.
Again, as a best guess, I am not really thinking the chemical on the dogbed had anything to do with what happened. Coincidence to get ill at the same time as licking some of it? I think just coincidence

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX healthy heartbeat and normal temperature affect your view?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Nope. We don't often see changes in temperature unless it is very high with a problem with severe infection or really low when near passing.

Heartbeat can be quite healthy even with disseminated cancer.

Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving. Again, terribly sorry about your loss but happy about the nice long life.

Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: 2003 Graduate