Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi, my XXXXX XXXXX eyes water constantly, we have had him

Hi, my XXXXX XXXXX eyes water constantly, we have had him to a vet who took one look gave us some eye ointment. We applied to the affected eye , no help. We now have minor weeping in both eyes this has been going on for a couple of months and it appears that there is no discomfort to the animal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is the discharge clear or snotty/green/yellow?

Have you noticed less wetness to Jack's nose?

Does he seem worse in the warmer weather?

Any redness in the eyes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The discharge has a pink tinge, but clear liquid rather than congealed.

No change to wetness of nose.

Weather does not affect.

No redness to eyes.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Steve,

Now when we see chronic tearing of the eyes, there can be a range of issues to blame. If the discharge is clear and not snotty, then this tells us that bacterial infection is less likely at this stage. As well, if his vet has examined the eye and noted no abnormalities, we can hopefully rule out primary eye based issues (ie corneal ulcers, glaucoma, etc). Instead, we have to consider issues that would reduce tear duct drainage of the eye (which would lead to drainage depression and overspill) and conditions that would increase tear production (leading to too many tears to drain and again causing overspill). With these in mind, and primary eye disease less likely, we would need to specifically consider allergic disease (though usually we do get some redness to the irritated eyes) and diseases of the tear ducts (ie narrowing due to inflammation, obstruction, rupture of the duct, or if something is compressing them).

In this case, the first step here would be to rule out allergies (since it is something you can try at home). Since his signs are year round, we would consider pollens to be less suspect but if there are any airborne allergens (ie cigarette smoke, air fresheners, etc) in the house, these too could trigger his signs. To do so, you can consider a 2 week trial on an antihistamine. There are a range of antihistamines on the market that can be used with dogs. The most common one that we use and find good success with here in the UK is Piriton. Typically this is given at a dose of 2-4mg up to three times a day (where the standard OTC preparation is 4mg per tablet). We always start this type of treatment off at a low dose since we can see drowsiness in dogs (just as in people). Therefore, you might consider trialling with a half tablet (2mg) once to twice a day initially to see if this can allay his tearing without making her overly sleepy. Of course, you do want to discuss using this medication with your vet if he is on any other medications you have not mentioned or has any other pre-existing conditions.

If you find no change with this, then we'd have to consider that the tear ducts may be the focus of his signs. In that case, you could speak to his vet about a trial on dog safe anti-inflammatories to rule out duct occlusion via swelling or you can have your vet flush Jack's tear ducts under sedation. At the same time, they can fully examine his mouth +/- xray his head if there is any concern about an internal issue compressing the ducts to limit tear drainage. Depending on their findings, his vet will be able to determine the trigger and address it for him. With resolution of the impediment of drainage, we would expect to see tear duct flow to normalize and therefore less overspill.

Overall, this overspill of tears is suggestive of over production due to irritation and/or issues with the tear ducts' ability to drain. Therefore, start by ruling out allergic disease but if he doesn't settle then it may be worth speaking to his vet about the potential compromise of his tear ducts.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.