Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How long does Metacam by mouth take to work for a rabbit?

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit who lives indoors and in the last 6 months every month he gets a rubbly tummy and becomes very uncomfortable. It always happens towards the evening (after 5pm) . He stops doing droppings and stops eating in all cases. Every-time this happens I end up at the emergency vet were they give him painkillers and gut stimulant by injection. For aftercare I then syringe feed critical care 5 ml with 1 ml Gut stimulant (twice a day) and .4 ml Metacam painkiller (once a day) and give him additional CC 5ml every 2 hours. As you can probably tell this costs me a fortune and we have recently had a baby girl so one of us is not working so money is tight.
Tonight he has the same condition, I have given him critical care 5 ml with 1 ml Gut stimulant and .4 ml Metacam painkiller. It has been an hour and he is still very uncomfortable.
How long should it take for the Metacam to take affect? Is there anything additional you suggest from here?

Many Thanks

John