Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My XXXXX XXXXX yorkshire terrier cross is sick quite a lot

My XXXXX XXXXX yorkshire terrier cross is sick quite a lot lately and seems quite tired. some days she has bags of energy and doesn't stop, then has a couple of days where she doesn't hardly do anything, she has been lethargic today and didn't want her tea, we tried her with a small bit of a different food and she eventually ate it. She is on average sick around once every week to 2 weeks but in between is absolutely fine. She is 11 years old and is normally very fit and healthy but we normally know when she is about to be sick as she eats grass. she has regular check ups at the vets and the most she has had wrong is she has a fatty lump under her tummy which doesn't seem to worry her although she does scratch it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Flossy is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is in the vomit?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is simply food in the vomit never anything else. to date she hasn't had any diarrhoea and she weighs 6.5 kgs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Vicky, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. There are many possible causes for regurgitation. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. But, common causes are: Esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, or even part of a systemic disease. On history alone it will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. At this stage, I would highly recommend you consider having her re-checked by your family veterinarian for xrays and blood work as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Divide her meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day. Change her diet to a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.
2- Raise her eating bowl on to a small stool to force her to raise her head while she eats.
3- Start her on Zantac (raniditine) 75mg 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter