Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

13 year old retriever is coughing up white foam; the foam is

13 year old retriever is coughing up white foam; the foam is incredibly sticky. The dog has eaten recently, but the substance has no trace of food in it. Could it be from the heart or lungs?
David
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Gus.
Absolutely correct.

Yes, I would be worried about some type of infectious or allergic bronchitis, heartworm disease (if prevalent in your area), unfortuntely a cancer cause, or heart failure as top concerns.

Without question, Gus, will need to be evaluated immediately. If congestive heart failure, and with early treatment, his condition can be improved and he can be maintained on proper heart drugs comfortably.

So, time is very important on the evaluation, and most definitely, x-rays will be recommended.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. We are not keen to put him through the anxiety of tests, and we thought heart was a probably cause. He only has very short walks now, perhaps 200 yards, and lies down to rest for long periods even during this. Today's coughing was after his short pm walk.
We really just want him to be comfortable during his probably last months. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hi David,
Not at this point. I really really do think the chest x-rays are well worth it!
It really could dictate starting some medications that possibly could extend his quality of life substantially longer. Really worth considering.
Please remember to provide a feedback rating before leaving. Greatly appreciated. Definitely reply if I missed covering something for you.
Dr. Andy