Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

A bullfinch has just flown into my window - it has injured

A bullfinch has just flown into my window - it has injured one eye and although it seemed in shock at first is now in a box covered with a light cloth and seems calm. Should i take it to a vet
What should I do to help ?

Kath Everitt
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with this poor wee one today.

Now if he has hit the window and is stunned with an injured eye, then I am quite concerned about head trauma as well as shock in this poor bird. In regards XXXXX XXXXX you can do for him at home, you have done so already. Shocked birds should be kept in dimly lit, quiet areas, preferably warmed to ~85*F and let to settle. Further to this, he will really need to be taken into your local veterinary practice or turned over to your local wildlife rehabilitator (Wildlife International (LINK)). They will be able to assess his damage and provide the treatment he requires (ie bird safe anti-inflammatories to help relieve brain swelling if present, treatment for the eye if necessary). Furthermore, they will have the permits and knowledge to provide care and nutrition as he may require until he is well enough for release.

Overall, you have done the right thing for this little lad so far. Further to this, it will be a case of getting him treatment to address any head and eye trauma this injury has caused. So, if your vet is currently open or if you have a local ER clinic, do consider taking this wee one in now. If you do not currently have an open surgery to take him to, then keep him warm and in a quiet place until they are open and hopefully this severe collision will not prove to be too much for this wee lad.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No more info required, thanks

The bullfinch recovered and I let it go back to the wild on the following day.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update.
I will close this question now for you.

All the best,
Dr. B