Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 10 year old (red) king Charles cavalier who seems

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old (red) king Charles cavalier who seems to have dark patches underneath the fur and the fur does not seem to grow on this area. up until 6 months ago I also had her mum who unfortunately I had to have put down and she is missing her terribly. Could it be something to do with this, or is she maybe lacking in something. A few months ago she had a lump removed underneath her which was cancerus and our local vet said it had spread to her lymph glands. but she seems fine and no more lumps .
your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
regards
carol
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question came in late at night when few vets are available. Please clarify if there are dark patches underneath her fur but also hairless dark patches. My initial thought is that you're seeing epidermal collarettes in different stages of healing. These collarettes represent a skin lesion seen most often secondary to a superficial spreading pyoderma (bacterial skin infection). The darkness represents hyperpigmentation that follows inflammation much like our skin darkens after it has been burned by the sun. Collarettes heal from the inside out and so although the center of the collarette may be hyperpigmented and quiet, the periphery of the collarette might have an inflamed rim. Pyoderma is treated with a systemic antibiotic such as cephalexin for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. An antimicrobial shampoo twice weekly such as one containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide should hasten recovery. Both the antibiotic and shampoo are available from Pip's vet.

I don't believe that Pip's skin is related to the loss of her mum nor would Pip be lacking something in her diet. Do you recall what type of cancerous lump was removed? Can you upload a close up photo of Pip's skin to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please respond with additional infortmation and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer , I have no more questions

Kind Regards

carol mutlow