Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi my dogs due date was yesterday and her temperature is still

Hi my dogs due date was yesterday and her temperature is still 102f she is only having 2 pups is this normal
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your girl hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry for the delayed response, but if you still require assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

Due dates in dogs are notoriously unreliable (unlike humans) since gestation can last as short as 56 days to as long as 70 days. And, it can also depend on when you start counting: from the first breeding or from when ovulation occurs.
The average 63-65 days from the time of first breeding is not a perfect formula although this is a decent approximation for when most dogs will deliver.

And, while most dogs will experience a temperature drop often below 99 degrees (approximately 10-24 hours before the first stages of labor are seen) not all of them will so it also is somewhat unreliable in predicting delivery times for some dogs.

Additionally, larger litters tend to come sooner than smaller litters.

As a general rule, if the mom is healthy, if the babies are still moving (you can see/feel them), and if the gestation time is less than 70 days from the first day of breeding, I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.
I would continue to monitor her rectal temperature at least twice a day. If her temperature does drop and onset of labor is not seen within 48 hours (at the latest), then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb