Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am wrried about my jack russel she

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am wrried about my jack russel she has a rash on her belly and legs and she is scratching and making it worse she tends to bite where it itches
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

BONNIE HAS HAD THIS RASH FORabouttwo and ahalf monthes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you describe the appearance of the rash?
2- Is the skin getting thick in that area?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it is just allred and blotchy

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Heather, if she continues to lick and gnaw at the area it is not going to get better. You see, the licking itself is causing lots of the inflammation (redness) on the skin. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter