Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

One of my hens has diarrhoea. I understand that it might be

Customer Question

One of my hens has diarrhoea. I understand that it might be worms but can find no evidence of that. Please con you help
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Minnie's condition. There are two different ways to find out if Minnie does indeed have worms, one is to have her droppings microscopically analyzed for worm eggs, the other is to go ahead and worm her to see if the diarrhea clears up afterward.
Although there are a number of possible reasons her droppings might be looser than normal, there is a very good chance that intestinal parasites are the cause of her problem, since worms are the number one cause of diarrhea in chickens. Flubenvet is an excellent broad-spectrum wormer available online or from farm or feed supply stores.
In most cases, worming first is the treatment of choice, since the wormer is relatively harmless, gets rid of parasites that be missed in a parasite screening test, and would have to be done anyway, if the test should reveal the presence of intestinal parasites.
Hopefully the Flubenvet will do the trick and she'll soon be back to her old self, but if you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, Dr. Bob