Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has had kidney problem since a kitten? but he is now

Customer Question

My cat has had kidney problem since a kitten? but he is now 15 yrs old. He has lost a lot of weight I have been to the vets but different diag each time. now scared to take him back he is vomiting most days sometimes twice a day. he no longer wants to go out so I now have a litter tray. he sleeps 20hrs a day. is he in pain? what should I do. am I being cruel but he is the world to me.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Clyde. I understand how you feel but it must be worse for you not knowing what's going on with him than knowing what to expect. I need to know what's been done for him so far - blood/urine tests? X-rays? ultrasound? - and what, if anything, has been found in his physical exam. I should be able to help clarify what's going on if I could review test results which you could ask for and upload to our conversation.

We both know that at 15 years of age every day's a gift. Profound loss of weight and persistent vomiting bode poorly but some causes of such symptoms can be treated - if only palliatively. Our primary concerns at Clyde's age are renal and hepatic failure as well as malignancy in his gastrointestinal tract - an infiltrative cancer such as lymphoma and mast cell disease as well as a solid tumor such as adenocarcinoma.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.