Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog was ok this morning but as the day progresses, he seems

My dog was ok this morning but as the day progresses, he seems to be wincing and yelping at any touch. This is very broad and not in any one place. He is shivering or shaking even when sleeping. Just before I left for work I noticed some blood in his diarrhea, but not frank blood. Can you help as I won't be able to go to the vets until tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat out of the ordinary?
2- How many hours before he is able to see a veterinarian?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He ate some cat food yesterday but he's done that before.

His gums are slightly pale but not unduly

I am in work at the moment, so I could take him to the vet in the morning, roughly 13hrs

I don't know how much he weighs but he is not overweight

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Karen, the fact that he is so painful and you are seeing bloody stool I am concern about the possiblility of a foreign body in the intestinal tract. If there is any way you can get him before 13 hours to see the vet for xrays that would be best. I don't want to scare you, but if this related to the ingestion of a foreign body it could be fatal if the gastrointestinal tract is perforated. For this reason it is best to have him checked as soon as you can. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give him any food until he is seen by a veterinarian.
2- Water is ok as long as he is not vomiting.
3- Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter