Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat seems to be sneezing/gagging and is very unhappy. Shes

Customer Question

My cat seems to be sneezing/gagging and is very unhappy. She's ok for a little while then starts again. She also keeps licking her lips/nose. She is a long fur, so does cough up hair balls but I've not seen her like this. It is the first time I've noticed it. Is it just a hair ball coming?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Millie's sneezing takes her malady out of her gastrointestinal tract (hairballs, e.g.) and places it in her respiratory tract. Sneezing and gagging cats are usually affected by the feline herpesvirus although we do see calicivirus and bacterial infection such as that caused by Mycoplasma and Clamydophila (previously called Chlamydia) as well.

In most cases, these cats will remiss unaided within 10-14 days. Her licking as you've described can indicate oral and oropharyngeal (back of her throat) pain as well as gastrointestinal distress, however. Please carefully look into her mouth and see if pinpoint ulcers (red "dots") are found on her tongue or gums which would indicate calicivirus infection.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There were no red dots and within the last 30 seconds she's just thrown up a lots of grass. I'm guessing she's going to be ok now.
Thank you for your help.
Thank you for the additional information. Watch for persistent sneezing which might also indicate a blade of grass in her nasal cavity.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Millie, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, she seems to be ok now, no more gagging so just going to keep an eye and make sure she is 100% ok now. Thank you.
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Please disregard the info request.