Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog keeps being sick. Its all white and foamy. Get also

My dog keeps being sick. It's all white and foamy. Get also won't eat and he won't settle.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Did he get into anything?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is two years old mini schnauzer and this has been going on since yesterday dinner time. He does not go outside the garden unless on a lead so he has not got into anything. He keeps lying down on his side with his legs stretched out. He has went completely off his food and has not eaten anything today. He has only ever received treatment for an ear infection about 6 months ago. Then the vet told me he was perfect weight for his age. He is similar weight now.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Did he eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Is he arching his back?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think he has eaten anything unusual however he may have picked up something from the garden that we haven't seen. He is not arching his back at all. He just wants to lie down but stayed stretched out on his side. He normally curls up like a ball when he lies down. Also he only seems to lie for a few minutes then he gets up again. He can't seem to get comfortable at all. His gums seems to be pink. I don't notice any difference in his gum colour.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, him laying on the side and being restless is consistent with abdominal pain. There are many possible causes for these symptoms. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, the fact that he has been vomiting common possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis, etc.
In this case, I would highly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to rule out pancreatitis and a foreign body ingestion; both can be fatal if not treated. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 12-16 hours. Need to give gastrointestinal tract/pancreas time to rest.
3- After 12-16 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter