Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 7yr old male tibetian spanian.he suffers from constipation

I have a 7yr old male tibetian spanian.he suffers from constipation a little. But once every year he get very ill can't poo and scotting and trying to lick and bite his anus. I think he needs his anal glands expressed. Also his back is sore to rub. Not wrinking water.will I give him dioralyte.my vet is calling but I want to know can you give animals coliform rectal foam25g or salofalk mesalazine?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Neither preparation you have noted are routinely used in veterinary medicine with dogs and therefore we do not have a lot of information on these treatments that you have noted and cannot be sure they are safe for at home use with this species.

Instead, if we are trying to treat constipation in a dog, then we do have other options. Now ideally, we prefer to treat from the mouth down instead of the sore rectum up. This is to limit harm to the people treating, to the animal being treated (since struggles could lead to rectal damage if one is trying to use rectal treatments or enemas) and avoiding having to sedate the animal in question to treat (since one cannot give a proper enema without knocking the suffering patient out).

With that all in mind, the first step in these cases, we will consider treating constipated pets with GI lubricating agents like Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose (LINK) or mineral oil. These are given orally, ideally offer in food or if given via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid) and help aid the passage of the stuck feces.

If we find that a patient has feces stuck at the level of the colon, then we can use treatments like Miralax (example). This tends to only be helpful for mild cases but can be potentially useful in a situation like this. Otherwise, the next step would be to consider having your vet sedate him and manually clear out his GI using enemas. At the same time as this, if his anal glands are impacted, they too can be expressed and flushed out for him.

Otherwise, if your lad is prone to these issues, then it would be ideal to use preventative treatment to keep things moving through his GI to avoid this type of situation. To do so, we will routinely treat these patients with cat hair ball remover, as well as add canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil/Benefiber to their diets. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We tend to offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water) since this too can keep feces moving properly through the GI.

Overall, if your lad is prone to recurrent constipation issues, then we'd want to include the above preventative steps into his daily life. If he is blocked at the moment and there is a question about his anal glands being involved, then it'd be best to have him checked now so that the glands can be expressed and the gravity of his impaction appreciated. If it is early stages, then his vet can dispense the oral treatments or Miralax for you to use (perhaps even some to have on hand to avoid this situation occurring again). But if he is dangerously impacted already, then a proper enema and manual evacuation under anesthesia would be the best course of action before this can lead to any longer term GI damage for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank u so much 4 ur help.my vet shall be here soon. Knows sil well.i think that it is up in the colon .However he is a excellent veterinary surgeon he treats sil in our home. He has said he will have to be anistized as he struggles and very frightened. I have helped in minor operations with my other past dogs and horses.but I am so worried. I think he may need bloods taken and a iv line antibiotics. A full check up.he get regular boosters ever year.will not take anything by mouth.He is a clever dog. How can I help as he always askes me.He also needs to be mussled?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that your vet knows your wee one very well. I am sure that he will be in good hands. I suspect your vet will do a general examination first before considering any sedation. And if they suspect anything is amiss, then I am sure they would check those bloods and put him on an IV (which would be indicated if this constipation is secondary to dehydration). So, I'd not panic just now. Your vet will checked your lad over and then discuss the best plan for the situation they find. As I noted before, if the feces is just in the lower part of the colon, then a Miralax may be enough to get things moving. And if your bou needs to take more invasive steps, then he will do so safely for everyone to make sure that no harm comes to yourself, your vet, or Sil.

So, don't fret. Just know that the examination is the first step and from there your vet and yourself will know what needs to be done for your boy.

All the best,
Dr. B.