Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog 14year old and she is having a heavy session what should

My dog 14year old and she is having a heavy session what should I do
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you explain what you mean by a heavy session?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She's loss a lot of blood then normal

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- You mean she is having a heavy vaginal discharge?
2- Is she spayed?
3- How long has this been going on?
4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is in session she as not been shaded she has been like this from a week and sleep a lot she goes for a walk 3 times a day a part from all that she is ok

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, I am a bit concern of the heavier discharge you are seeing. This is consistent with a "pyometra" which is an infection of the uterus. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. There could be other causes like vaginitis, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked as soon as you can by a veterinarian; do not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. If it is confirmed she has a pyometra she will require surgery to remove the infected uterus.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter