Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My greyhounds poo is black tarry looking and he is panting

My greyhounds poo is black tarry looking and he is panting all the time now and he keeps licking his mouth his teeth are not the best he's running in the field as usual and not off his food
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Can you open his mouth and make certain there is nothing stuck under the tongue, gums or teeth?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No vomiting. He's ate nothing different Not on medication Nothing in his mouth his teeth do need cleaning
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
John, when we see black tarry stool it could be a sign of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. The reason the color is black and not red is because the blood is digested. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, tumors, ulcers, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case I would highly recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Keep him on a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.
2- Zantac (ranitidine) 1-2mg per kilogram body weight every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter