Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my border collie has swelling around the left hand side of

Customer Question

my border collie has swelling around the left hand side of his mouth , its very solid , he his in no discomfort what could it be ?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
If this swelling arose very quickly it would indicate angioedema - the swelling indicative of an envenomation from a flying insect or spider. Please let me know how quickly you believe this arose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Doc, i took Charlie out this morning and no problem, it was noticed this afternoon at 3pm before his walk . inside his gum are 2 white dots.

Thank you, Richard. I can't think of anything other than an envenomation that would come up that quickly unless Charlie got into an altercation with another dog or a cat...but in that case, that area should be painful rather than numb which is expected with an envenomation. You don't have snakes where you live so that leaves a bug...that got him twice. I'd love to tell you that those are fang marks but no snakes means no fangs!

Don't do anything. If I'm right, that swelling is going to abate within 72 hours unaided. I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Doc, no snakes in Derby (England) as i say he's well in himself and hopefully the swelling will go down .

Thanks again

Thee's no reason for it not to. It's my pleasure. I'll speak to you soon.
May I have an update on Charlie, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello doc The swelling has now gone down and he is fine. Thanks for your advice,

That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

My best to Charlie.

Please disregard the info request.