Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

when female cats become on heat for the first time, what are

Customer Question

when female cats become on heat for the first time, what are the symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Unless it is spayed or pregnant a female cat is likely to come into season for about three days each three weeks and they will typically have their season again five or six weeks after having had kittens. The symptoms you might expect are as follows ...

Scott Nimmo :

1. The cat becomes more affectionate than usual.
2. Your cat rolls around the floor.

3. She carries her tail to one side.

4. The cat becomes very vocal and meows a lot. { Calling } This vocalisation can become very noisy with loud yowls day and night. Her voice may become more piercing than usual.

5. Your cat assumes a position with her hind end in the air.

6. She may lick her genital area more and may urinate more.

Scott Nimmo :

There is really nothing much you can do to help out a cat in season, the best thing to do would be to have her spayed at the first opportunity. There are drugs to take the female cat out of season but they are only temporary and I personally would not use them on my own cat.

Scott Nimmo :

That's about the whole picture, can I help you further ...