Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My kittens paws and ears look like they are being eaten away,

Customer Question

My kitten's paws and ears look like they are being eaten away, black, yellow, scabs, losing his fur on his ears and red raw, feet the same, black nose and lips, what is it please it is heartbreaking, he just wants to sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. There's little question that a kitten with such severe pathology needs to be seen by its vet at your earliest convenience. Even if I could clarify why these skin changes have occurred, the kitten would need to see its vet for the medications required. How old is your kitten, please? When did these skin changes begin to appear?

The tentative diagnosis list would include a severe eosinophilic dermatitis, juvenile lymphoma, vasculitis, autoimmune skin disease such as the pemphigus complex, and severe fungal invasion. Skin biopsy might be necessary to clarify the disorder. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you from here. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of your kitten to our conversation? I should be able to be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.