Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, my daughters dog (french dog x chihuahua) about 8

Customer Question

Hi, my daughters dog (french bull dog x chihuahua) about 8 kgs snapped a wasp or something yesterday. She appears to have a sting inside her lip. Last night that side was swollen, this morning most of her face is. She is fine in herself, playing and eating well. I have clarityn 10mg tablets and I wondered what dosage I could give to help the swelling to reduce.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is in fact a human drug not licensed for use in animals but Claritin has been used in the dog many times in just this sort of situation . The dose range for Claritin in the dog is 0.25 - 0.5 mg/kg twice a day orally. But make very sure that it is not Claritin D with pseudoephedrine in it.

Scott Nimmo :

It would be safer to go for the 0.25 mg dose initially and see what happens ...

Customer:

It is the basic Clarityn , so that would be roughly half a tablet then?

Customer:

is that a single dose or would it need to be repeated?

Scott Nimmo :

As she weighs 8 kg this works out at 2 mg twice a day, in your case 1/4 of the 10 mg tablet should be fine ...

Scott Nimmo :

In Nina's sort of situation you would normally give it twice a day for three or four days or until symptoms subside.

Customer:

Thats great. Thank you. Will go and dose her now.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ... regards, Scott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would just like to thank you. Within 24 hours Nina was fully recovered.

We still don't really know what triggered the reaction but the recovery was as rapid as the reaction.

Lynda