Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Boxer 3yrs runny eyes

Customer Question

Boxer bitch 3yrs runny eyes
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets - including I - were reluctant to tell you that "runny eyes" isn't a specific enough symptom to be able for us to be as specific as we'd like for you.

Epiphora - excessive tearing - can be seen secondary to anatomical defects such as eyelids rubbing against the cornea (the clear window of the eyes), and misplaced eyelashes; an allergic, irritant, or infectious conjunctivitis; or problems within the globe of the eye. A careful ophthalmic examination including corneal staining with fluoroscein in order to identify corneal trauma, eye pressure measurement with a tonometer in order to identify uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) or glaucoma (build up of fluid within the eye), and a fundic exam (exam of the back of Cleo's eyes) is important to clarify what's going on.

Please note that antibiotics don't address hay fever. We prescribe antihistamines and/or glucocorticosteroids such as prednisone in order to address allergies such as hay fever. If Cleo's vet can't perform a thorough eye exam such as I've described, referral to a veterinary specialist ophthalmologist should be considered. Cleo can be referred to such a specialist or you can find one here: http://www.bravo.org.uk/

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I see that you rated negatively but you didn't respond to me and so I don't know why you did so. I understand if you were unhappy with the length of the delay. Did you need more information? Did you have a problem navigating the site? Are you shooting the messenger?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has constant runny eye yellow discharge mostly after she been sleeping can't say much more as I am not expert .
Thank you for the additional information. That discolored discharge can arise secondary to corneal (the clear window of the eye) irritation from her lids or eyelashes, inflammation in her eyelids (conjunctivitis) which can arise from allergies and/or infection, or from a lack of tear production. Have Cleo's vet perform corneal staining with fluoroscein dye to make sure that Cleo's corneas aren't damaged, perform a careful examination of Cleo's eyelids, and perform a Schirmer tear test to see if Cleo is forming enough tears. These are all quick in the exam room tests. If nothing untoward is found or a non-specific conjunctivitis is apparent, Cleo's vet is likely to prescribe an ophthalmic ointment that contains both an antibiotic and steroid which would address both infection and allergy simultaneously.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.