Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

While cutting my dogs nails,I caught a quick on the back foot

While cutting my dogs nails,I caught a quick on the back foot quite badly,after applying the powder it stopped,but then my dog was standing on this foot odd like it,s bent underneath,while walking it,s dragged along,the vets have said it,s a neurological disorder,can this happen from catching a dogs quick?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

No, this cannot happen by cutting the quick. This neurologic issue has to be due to something else such as an injury...you may have been holding the leg in such a way that the nerve supply to the foot or leg has been strained. Also, the position of the leg when you were dealing with your guy may have strained the disc in the vertebrae causing this lack of nerve supply. Whatever the cause, This will require a strong anti inflammatory medication to release the nerve supply and allow function to return.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX