Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We collected a 9 week old cocker poo from breeder yesterday.

Customer Question

We collected a 9 week old cocker poo from breeder yesterday. She had an hours journey home and got quite stressed in the car. Later in the afternoon she had quite a loose poo and there was a little bit of blood in it! Since then she has pooed twice, both times after she has been left and both times there has been a little bit of blood present. Should we be concerned/get her to emergency vet? She is quite happy otherwise-eating and drinking. She has also had her first set of injections and been treated for fleas and been recently wormed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that you are seeing a bit of fresh blood in Poppy's stool. When we see fresh blood in the feces it is often arising from the lower colon. Now we can see this with a range of conditions including anal gland disease, parasitic infection (ie whipworms, coccidia, etc) and inflammation/infection of the colon (colitis). Since she is a recently wormed pup and has just joined the family, our top concern to rule out initially would be stress/inflammatory triggers for colitis.

Therefore, to start, if we have an inflammatory colitis (which can be triggered by stress or diet changes both of which are quite common when puppies go to their new homes) then this can sometimes be settled with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). . Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you try the above and this doesn't settle in the next 24-48 hours (since she is wee) or you are seeing blood from the rectum not associated with her passing feces, then you would want to want to follow up with her vet at that stage. As long as she is bright, happy, and the blood volume passed is small; this would not be an emergency situation. And if you have ruled out the above and are concerned about bacterial colitis, then also consider bringing in a fecal sample with you for evaluation. The vet will be able to examine her, assess her hydration, and if they too suspect bacterial colitis, then the fecal sample can be sent to the lab for evaluation to identify the agent responsible and what treatment will be effective to clear it. As well or alternatively, the vet can also cover her with broad spectrum antibiotics to treat against the most common bacterial agents of colitis and dog safe anti-diarrheal medication (ie Kaolin, Protexin, etc) to settle this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )