Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

hi ,I have 2 10wk old kittens 4 days ago 1 came down with a

Customer Question

hi ,I have 2 10wk old kittens 4 days ago 1 came down with a sore eye my vet thought he may have an ulcer which was confirmed the nxt day when his eye became more swollen, he was given cream 2 put in twice daily and a injection and a was told 2 bath his eye, he has to go back 2 vets tomorrow,this morning his brother has a sore eye as well , I have cleaned both there eyes and put the vet cream in his eye as well,they haven't had injections yet as as there house cat and aren't 12wks yet, do you think they have cat flu ? please help as am getting really upset thinking am going to have to have them put 2 sleep ? they do not have anymore syptoms and are eating well and playing ect they have not been sneezing or have runny noses thanks louise
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Louise. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, take a deep breath.

Based on your history of two kittens with corneal ulcers, our top concerns will be cat flu (likely the feline herpes virus -- which they can just develop the ocular signs and don't necessarily develop the respiratory signs) or really bad aim when playing leading to each ending up with traumatic injury to their eyes. Depending on the appearance of the ulcer when the eye was stained, your vet can likely give you an idea of which is to blame.

In either case, this is not a death sentence, we just need to make sure that both cat's eyes are treated and heal. Your vet was just being vigilant with Kevin's eye because they want to ensure that it is healing (if it wasn't then they may need to take further steps to help the eye do so). Therefore, you have taken the right step with Perrie's eye just now. Further to that, I would suggestion taking him with Kevin to his recheck. That said, if Perrie's eye is very swollen at the moment, then consider just moving the recheck up to today and have them both seen at the same time. As long as the vet feels that Kevin's eye is improving and starts treatment for Perrie, we should see them settle and get back to being wee non-squinting kitties.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )