Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my gineau pig may have eaten some tulip flowers, what are the

Customer Question

my gineau pig may have eaten some tulip flowers, what are the signs?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that Henry has gotten into the tulips. Now the bulbs are the most toxic portion (usually what dogs end up eating), but we can see see adverse signs from ingestion of any part of the plant. In regards XXXXX XXXXX questions about clinical signs we see associated with this type of poisoning, we can see GI upset leading to drooling, anorexia (since this is a species that cannot vomit), diarrhea, and lethargy.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX we tend to need to focus on supportive care. Therefore, we want to encourage him to keep eating at this stage. If he will not, then handfeeding or syringe feeding would be indicated (which Recovery Plus could be indicated here). Further to this, hydration support via oral means (daily requirement = 4.8ml of fluid per 100g of body weight) using Pedialyte or via subcutaneous (under the skin) fluid administration by his vet. As well, if he is showing appetite decline due to this intoxication, then your vet can also administer anti-nausea drugs via injection to settle his stomach and help overcome this toxin induced GI upset.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been off his food for several days and been very lethargic, the vet has not known what the cause has been, but I just realised we have had tulips in his vicinity recently, I shall continue with the hand feeding

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome, Adam.

If Henry has been off his food and had tulips prior to this anorexia, then you do have your likely suspect. So, I would let his vet know so they can amend their treatment plan to ensure they are settling his stomach and continue with your supportive care feeding to get him through this tulip induced GI upset.

All the best to Henry,
Dr. B.