Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat was on meds for cat flu but finished course on Friday.....

my cat was on meds for cat flu but finished course on Friday..... he has now got very chesty and is sleeping a lot..... should I ring the on call vet now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am sorry to hear that Col is relapsing despite treatment. If you feel that he is sounding chesty today, then it would be ideal to have a recheck with the vet today to get him onto a longer or alternative course of treatment to ensure you clear this for him (and don't let those infectious agents regain their foothold in his lungs).

If you cannot see the on call vet at this stage (if they are unavailable due to an emergency or surgery), I do want to just mention a few steps you can take to try to relieve his congestion for the short term.

First
, consider taking wee Col into the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any of the snot congesting him. This should open his airways and help him breathe easier. As well, you can also use a baby nebulize/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, you can alternatively make a little ‘steam tent’ for him by placing him in his carrier with the nebulizer next to it and cover both with bed sheet.

As well, if he is building up nasal mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

So, if Col is having a relapse, then we'd want to be proactive to limit the extend to his signs returning. But if you cannot see the vet immediately, then we'd want to add these steps to Col's care. Otherwise, do speak to the vet about further treatment for him and if he does have a lot of congestion they may also dispense cat safe decongestants (ie Bisolvin) or medication to open up his airway and get him breathing better for you.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.