Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our dog has just eaten 80 get of dark chocolate we r worried

Our dog has just eaten 80 get of dark chocolate we r worried sick he is a medium to large dog who should we do please
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many ounces were each chocolate?
2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
3- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He ate 80g which is 2.8 ounces, about an hour ago, no we don't , I think he weighs about 3 stone

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Vanessa, 80g of dark chocolate is Not going to be systemically toxic to a 3 stone Darcy, at worst you may see vomiting and diarrhea otherwise he should be fine. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter