Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 8 year old collie cross has in the last couple of days licking

Customer Question

My 8 year old collie cross has in the last couple of days licking and nibbling her fur around her groin area and inside legs. The whole are is red and seems to be smelly. She is obviously in pain as she wont let us touch the area. She has lost all her spark and is panting all the time.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Fizz is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any swelling or lacerations?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cant see any at all, just the skin looks red and raw...she is either pulling her fur out or its falling out

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Nick, it sounds like Fizz has an acral lick granuloma which is an area of infection/inflammation made worst by licking. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter