Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

what could I use to bathe my dogs eyes, she went down a fox

what could I use to bathe my dogs eyes, she went down a fox hole and was underground for some 12 hours, when she reappeared she was very dirty and her eyes were swollen with all the dust and dirt that were in and around the lids, and the lids look sore and she is squinting a lot, I have tried just cotton wool and some plain warm water, I have some optrex if it is safe to try? or could you advise on what to buy.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Goodness, it sounds like Poppy went on quite the adventure there.

Now in regards XXXXX XXXXX her eyes, I would refrain from using the Optrex. It is not a product we routinely use with dog eyes and there is a risk that the ingredients could actually cause further irritation and inflammation to the eyes as well as the skin around them.

Instead, I would advise you to flush the eyes with sterile saline a few times daily. Saline will be a mild antiseptic (which can help keep the bacteria away) that is safe to be in contact with the eyes. When flushing eyes, it is better to use a sterile saline solution and can find this at your local pharmacy as plain contact lens solution or first aid eye washes. Both do come with nozzle type fixtures and this can help you get a good stream to flush out the eyes with.These will help to flush out the dirt and bacteria and hopefully settle her eyes.

Just to note, if she is still quite painful and sore with her eyes after you have flushed them, we would have to be concerned about mechanical trauma to the corneas by the dirt and grit being in direct contact. As well, we can sometimes see dirt get stuck behind the third eyelid. If you see either issue, then we'd want to follow up with her vet so that they can stain the eye to determine the ulcer severity and provide appropriate treatment to heal it.

Finally, just to note since eyes are so delicate and in case you were keen to have her seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get Poppy seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner (if those eyes are very sore) then there are options to have her seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.