Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hello, I have a 28kilo retired greyhound, Lola, aged 5. Although

Hello, I have a 28kilo retired greyhound, Lola, aged 5. Although she doesn't need a great deal of exercise, she lives happily along side our ex courser lurcher rescue who does! He weighs 23 kilos. Both neutered.

Lola has lost half a kilo in four weeks. I feed them both a tin of chappie and a mug of James Wellbeloved twice daily. Is that about right??

Andrea
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. Good for you for rescuing your pups, retired racers make great pets. I'd like to help with your concerns about feeding Lola.

Is Lola a new to you pup or have you had her for a while?
Did she need to lose weight or is this an unwanted weight loss?
Is she drinking any more water then usual?
How does she seem to feel otherwise?
We do want to make sure that she is healthy if this is an unwanted weight loss and she has been eating the same foods and amounts of foods for a while.

I find many retired racers have trouble maintaining their weight on the amount that we would feed other breeds of dogs of the same size because their increased muscle mass. They are also prone to gastrointestinal and digestive upset due to being fed poor quality raw meats during their racing careers. In short some of them need to be fed more food to maintain their weight.

If her weight loss was unintentional and this is the same food and amount she's been fed for a while I do recommend that Lola have some blood tests and a fecal check for gastrointestinal parasites.

In the meantime if she didn't need to lose weight I would increase the amount she is being fed by 20% to try to keep her from losing any more weight.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr Kara
Thank you for your response! We've only had Lola a month. She was weighed at 28 kilos and we were told by her trainer she was at the perfect weight.
I'm hoping half a kilo has dropped off with the increase in exercise. She's very stiff from too much running around the garden and discovering stairs (I've invested in a stair gate now). My local vet gave me tremadol and loxicom for her and she's less stiff. She's fine in herself, very happy now. She has terrible breath and I'm using dentisept for her gingivitus. Her stools are getting better in terms of firmness. Chappie was recommended to me for our sensitive lurcher who took months and months to settle but is now sorted.

I will increase her biscuits by 20% as you suggest and keep monitoring her weight and take her in if it gets worse.

Thanks ever so much. I'm besotted with my pups so probably a bit over cautious!!

Andrea
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
No worries Andrea, I too love those ex-racers, they are such sweet, grateful pups. My picture is my latest rescue, Dudley.
I think that the increase in exercise, the stress of learning to live in a home and all of the new learning experiences that go with that, and getting her intestinal tract in order are probably all contributors.
But I know with my previous fellow I needed to feed him much more then any of my other dogs just to keep the weight on him. Start with increasing the amount 20% and see what that does for her, hopefully that will help keep her where she should be.
Please let me know how things go for her, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX